What To Wear In Philippines
To sum it up - Casual but pack great shoes
- In Manila people dress very well; appearances really do matter. Women are groomed and dressed beautifully, with lovely jewellery.
- Evenings are definitely a time for dressing up here, so pack your glitzy heels and accessories.
- Restaurants and hotels do not have a dress code as such, but shorts would be regarded as improper and you'd feel really out of place.
- Light casual clothes in natural fibres - linen, silk, cotton - work well in the heat and humidity.
- The Philippines is less conservative than neighbouring countries, and shorter skirts and sleeves are acceptable. However, if you don't want to attract too much attention, don't go too short.
- As well as heels for evenings, pack comfortable, sturdy footwear along with your insect repellent for travelling around the islands.
- The rainy season is from June to October, so be sure to pack an umbrella and a light raincoat.
- On any trips to churches and temples cover up - particularly your legs and shoulders. Use a versatile pashmina or wrap as a cover-up.
- If you are here on business, avoid black. Business women wear designer suits with stockings. For men shirts and ties are expected - with or without a jacket.
- Formal occasions require dinner jackets and ties for men, and cocktail dresses or long gowns for women.
- Don’t drink or even brush your teeth in tap water. Consider taking a waterstraw water purifier or safe water drinking bottle.
- To avoid taking separate electrical leads, chargers and adaptors for all your phones and devices, try a solar powered charger - this one gadget will charge most devices anywhere at any time.
- And look after your mobile phone with a phone bunjee - this elasticated strap will secure it to your bag or pocket, so you don't need to worry about dropping it anywhere.
- Stay healthy on your trip - travellers' diarrhoea can affect as many as 50% of people travelling abroad. We've tried and recommend Bimuno Travel Aid pastilles to help support your digestive health. And WhatToWearOnHoliday readers can claim a great 10% discount on Bimuno using code WHBIMUA at their checkout.
From Our Shop
Great products to pack for a holiday in Philippines:See all shopping recommendations for Philippines >