What To Wear In California
To sum it up - Smart, but comfortable and casual
- Smart casual is the key here with maybe a smart dress for a special restaurant. However for men jacket and ties are optional even in Santa Monica's fanciest restaurants.
- Be sure to take a shawl, light jacket or cardigan, or pashmina shawl, as a cool wind can spring up suddenly.
- Ocean breezes can be cool and once the sun sets, the temperature can drop.
- The temperature here is nearly always lower than LA itself but sun screen (we love the Riemann P20 range - apply just once a day, even if swimming, for a whole 10 hours protection) really is essential – the rays are a lot stronger than you realize.
- Pack light as it's very easy to get clothes laundered and it will leave plenty of room for the great handbags and shoes you'll find here.
- You'll probably find you spend a great amount of time outside when you visit anywhere in California, so be sure to take comfortable walking shoes.
- The weather varies enormously from region to region. There are many different elevations from mountains to deserts, so it's essential to pack according to where you're going.
- Stay healthy on your trip - travellers' diarrhoea can affect as many as 50% of people travelling abroad. We've tried and recommend Bimuno Travel Aid pastilles to help support your digestive health. And WhatToWearOnHoliday readers can claim a great 10% discount on Bimuno using code WHBIMUA at their checkout.
From Our Shop
Great products to pack for a holiday in USA:See all shopping recommendations for USA >